Friday, December 31, 2010

Webcomics: Top Five

At least, my personal top five anyway. And here's where I'll tell you why.

Of course, I should state here my preference for very heavy, soul searching stories--and that should que you in as to why I choose various stories over others.



The art scores a full 10 as far as this comic is concerned--but the story is light, and is meant to be. I believe the artist mentioned at one point that the comic was created to parody fantasy RPGs and thus it keeps a very almost whip-creamy feel to it. It still made the list, so while it may be in fifth, it still has a place in my heart.

If I were to make a complaint about anything, it would be that at the moment, the villain seems a little out of place in this very fluffy world. Though, being familiar with the artist in question, I expect that the comic will take a much darker turn sometime in the future.

Number four simply because at the moment it is so short. It clearly has a lot of potential. The promise of a dark, broody cast set in a similarly harsh world. I'm very excited to see where it goes--if it goes.

The first thing I must point out about this comic is, and I am sorry for this, a small complaint. Sometimes I feel some of the characters are rushed. This is probably due to the author planning the story all the way through and wanting to get to the meatier substances of the plot. Still, I do love good character development--but it is more a plot driven story it seems.

As far as it's good qualities, it updates regularly, has wonderful art and a well established world. Clearly the creator has a wonderful vision of the whole world's workings and is continuously tinkering at it to perfect it. This comic has the number three spot because it is clearly a labor of love.


Okay. So I said I liked deep comics. This is clearly comedy. But good comedy! Consistent characters. Wacky, cartoony slapstick. It has all of that zaniness you remember from your favorite saturday morning kid-shows--with a little bit of adulthood thrown in. Clearly, as a young adult who doesn't really want to let go of her imaginary friends, I can relate to this.

On the Couch is pure fun.

  • 1. Jack by David Hopkins
The star of the hour. I have only recently stumbled across the comic [and incidentally, read it all the way through in about four sittings]. What can I say that hasn't already been said? This comic is dense, packed solid with questions humanity has asked for decades: what makes faith? How can one love fully? What is it to truly overcome your own faults? Be prepared to cry both tears of sorrow and joy for this one folks. It pears everything down to the core of good storytelling. [Sans, of course, the Frigid mcThunderbones arc... But we won't talk about that.]

Oh. And don't let the anthropomorphic animals be off-putting. Disney has already proven to us that talking animals can tell stories just as well as people. [The Lion King anyone?]

Just read it. Right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment